A’s for J’s
VILLA and Jordan Brand partnered on the A’s for J’s program for the third year! The program is currently in three Philadelphia High Schools—West Philadelphia High School, Kensington Creative and Performing Arts High School, and Imhotep Charter High School.
Created in 2013, the goal of the program is to reward students for academic success and excellence and increase school engagement. For every “A” earned in Math, Science, and English each marking period, a student receives $25 credit on Jordan merchandise at VILLA store locations. Students also receive credit for achieving a 90% or higher attendance rate.
Throughout the school year, approximately 800 program participants were given the opportunity to participate in kick-off and year-end celebrations, college and career exploration workshops, and even participated in a trip to the Jordan Brand Classic in NYC. More importantly, over 85 graduating seniors were awarded the full A’s for J’s scholarships to pursue post-secondary education at the schools of their choice.
“VILLA and Jordan are committed to supporting tomorrow’s leaders achieve their dreams by giving them the tools that are necessary for success. We are excited and encouraged by the program’s continued progress moving into its fourth year.”—Rodney Robbins, Manager of Community Engagement, VILLA
VILLA successfully launched the VILLAcademy program in four VILLA markets for the 2015-2016 school year—Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Toledo.
- Dobbins HS (Philadelphia, PA) We held a kick-off event for the entire student body and monthly workshops in the areas of marketing, professional communication, resume writing & interview skills, and financial planning for the student participants.
- Youth Build Philly Charter HS (Philadelphia, PA) We held a kick-off event for the entire student body and held monthly workshops in partnership with their Customer Service Excellence Training (CSET) program.
- South Oak Cliff HS (Dallas, TX) We held a kick-off event for the entire student body, supported their Star Standardized Testing by providing “I Matter” shirts and gift cards to giveaway to students, hosted VILLA sponsored study sessions, and sponsored “Pastries with the Principal” Day.
- Rogers HS (Toledo, OH) We partnered with a newly created program, #POPBoomClick! VILLA staff gave presentations to students in March and April, sponsored a student trip to our store to learn about retail, marketing, visual merchandising & community engagement, and assisted students with their “I Matter” focused capstone project.
- Faison MS (Pittsburgh, PA) We partnered with the school to host an “I Matter” event focusing on self-esteem and uplifting the youth. The event featured a “Clean Your Kicks” station and hair cut station.
We are excited to expand the program in 2016-2017 school year! If your school is interested in participating in the VILLAcademy program, please contact your local VILLA Store Manager.
MLK Day of Service 2016
Over 100 VILLA employees participated in the National Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service on Monday, January 18, 2016. This year's project was a beautification of the Dr. Ethel Allen Promise Academy located at 3200 West Lehigh Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19132. The VILLA Team cleaned the school, painted new murals, and painted inspirational quotes throughout the hallways of the school. The service project was followed by music showcase for the community featuring local artists from the Philadelphia area.
As an organization, VILLA promotes year-round volunteer service and civic engagement at all levels of the company. For the last 10 years, VILLA has recognized the MLK Day of Service as one of many days where we can give back to the communities that support us. For VILLA, this is truly "A Day On, Not A Day Off!"
JTM Day of Service 2016
On Sunday, February 28, 2016 over 200 VILLA employees convened in North Philadelphia for JTM Day of Service 2016. JTM Day is one of VILLA’s signature annual community service projects to provide volunteer service and give back to the communities that support us. This year, we partnered with the Timberland, City Year, and the School District of Philadelphia to beautify the Benjamin Franklin High School located at 550 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130.
Over 600 students attending Benjamin Franklin High School, and 100% of the students are economically disadvantaged. The school’s mission is to ensure that all students follow one of three paths: (1) attend college, (2) attend a two-year technical program or trade school, or (3) join the military or workforce. As such, we painted murals focusing on career readiness, motivational designs, and inspirational people & messages throughout the school.
This project was the start of larger partnership between VILLA and Benjamin Franklin High School. The school will receive ongoing support from VILLA through the VILLAcademy (Adopt-A-School) program.
VILLA is proud to be a corporate coalition member of the 100,000 Opportunities Initiative. Launched in August 2015 to create more pathways to economic opportunity for young Americans, the 100,000 Opportunities Initiative aims to be the largest employer-led coalition in the country. As a coalition of leading U.S.-based companies, the coalition is committed to engaging at least 100,000 “opportunity youth” (16-24 year olds who face systemic barriers to jobs and education) by 2018 through apprenticeships, internships, and both part-time and full-time jobs.
Our Manager of Community Engagement, Rodney Robbins, serves on the Strategic Oversight Committee for the initiative.